Thinking about deducting travel, meals, and other gambling expenses in 2024? If you consider yourself a professional gambler, you might be eligible. But beware, the IRS has its cards close to its chest, and qualifying isn’t a walk in the park.
Unlike recreational gamblers, professional gamblers can deduct ALL gambling-related expenses (including travel, lodging, and meals) from their winnings without itemizing, which can be a significant tax advantage, potentially lowering your tax burden in 2024.
But before you start booking that Vegas trip on your business card, remember: qualifying as a professional gambler is tricky.
Here’s What You Need to Know for 2024:
Frequent, consistent gambling is a must. Most pros gamble full-time, but juggling gambling with another job may be possible if you demonstrate sustained, year-round activity.
Fun is secondary. You must prove gambling is your primary source of income, not just a recreational pursuit.
The IRS assesses your “pro” status based on nine factors, with record-keeping being the most crucial:
- Businesslike approach: Do you have a dedicated bank account, a gambling log, and a business plan?
- Winning history: Can you demonstrate consistent profits over time?
- Financial dependence: Does gambling significantly contribute to your income?
- Expertise: Are you demonstrably skilled in your chosen games?
- Time and effort: How much time and energy do you dedicate to studying and playing?
- Expectation of asset appreciation: Do you believe your skill can improve, leading to higher winnings?
- Success in other activities: Do you have a history of success in income-generating pursuits?
- Financial status: Do you rely on gambling income for your livelihood?
- Presence of pleasure or recreation: Is gambling primarily for fun or a serious income source?
Ready to play for keeps? Do your research and book your tax assessment.
By understanding the 2024 landscape, you can increase your chances of claiming your rightful deductions and maximizing your income from the tables (or slots!).
P.S.: Gamble responsibly ⚠️